Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fan for Years, Decided to Do Something About It.

   So the first time I ever played D&D it was Dragonlance and for a kid, it was epic. To this day, it remains my favorite setting. One of the more memorable moments in the game (and the novels) was the battle at the Tower of the High Clerist. Now many, many unsaid years later I find myself running a Dragonlance campaign.

   With the release of D&D 3.0 (later 3.5) in 2000 the system laid down a rules system for using miniatures. Because of that the industry that produces those mini's saw growth and continues to do well. Along with that was the scenery to set those mini's in, Dwarven Forge is what comes to mind for me. A few years ago at Gen Con I bought fabrication molds from Hirst Arts that lets you build buildings and other structures out of a plaster bricks you make. Since that time I've always thought how fun it would be to have a full scale model of the Tower of the High Clerist. Now I have the people willing to play and the tools and method to build it and that's what I'm going to do.


  The tower is 840 feet wide from mountainside to mountainside and stands 1000 feet tall. In my model the scale will be 1 inch = 10 feet.

To be sure this is a massive under taking and I have never tried building something like this but I'm determined to do so. This is going to take a lot of planning and follow through and I anticipate at least 2 years for this project. I see it broken into 4 phases; the battlements, the tower itself, the knights spur (the building on the right side of the picture) and the surrounding landscape. Within each of those sections will be planning, drawing, building, and painting it.

   So as I said before, here we go...Phase 1, the battlements.

1 comment:

  1. I think you could take a massive shortcut if you could get Kurtis Weaver to send you a copy of his 3DS Max model of it (see http://kurtisweaver.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/hct_page2.jpg/), then run it off on a 3d Printer like the ones Shapeways.com use. You'd have to break it up into parts to get it at the scale you want, of course, but I would think that shouldn't be terribly difficult. You're a lot more ambitious than I am -- I'd settle for having a Battlesystem-scale (one inch = 30 feet) model.

    ReplyDelete