Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Not a Home Improvement Project...

   ...I said that at least three times today.

   A Menards opened about 2 weeks ago in the area. A big thing for a town of population 12k and that's the big city in this area. So it had it's "Grand Opening" all last week. After the all the hub-bub died down I finally decided to go check it out. Very nice. Big.

   My motive for this was that as I'm formulating the plan to build the HCT, there are things I realize I'm going to need, mainly materials and tools. Now, I am not and never have been much of a "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" kind of guy and probably never will be. I barely built the dust pan and wooden clock in Jr. high industrial arts class, so when I'm walking around I fully admit I was like Bill Gates hanging out with the Chicago Bears, the two just didn't go together. For example, I would end up in the power sander area asking where sandpaper sheets were. It turns out they're in the painting section. I was also looking and pricing metal files, and trying to find hydro-stone, the material I'll build most of the HCT out of. Inevitably the friendly neighborhood Menards assistant would ask if they could help. I would say I'm looking for a particular thing and they would ask what I'm trying to do to my house, particularly when asking about the hydro-stone and blue board insulation (used for sculpting lanscape and buildings) and sounding like a broken record I would say that blessed statement that makes one feel even more out of place than I already had.

   It does sound like an opening of a joke... "A geek walks into a home improvement store..."

   On the other hand, I spent the weekend drawing and measuring the foundations for the Knight's Spur section. I do need larger graph paper than 8.5x11. I have seen 17x22 online to buy but I want even larger if it can be found. I had to tape together 9 sheets in a 3x3 grid to get the actual miniature size of the building on paper. It took time drawing it and there are just as much eraser marks as there are lines drawn. I'm gonna need more erasers!

2 comments:

  1. did you end up finding the hydro-stone at menards? I ask because I too am looking for a local place that sells it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not. It looks like I'm going to end up ordering the Merlin's Magic Stone. It's pretty reasonably priced.

    http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/dental.html

    ReplyDelete